Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Pleasures of an External Hard Disk


I recently purchased a new Seagate Free Agent hard disk, the 250 GB version. The hard disk is a sleek external harddisk which comes assemble by Seagate only and comes with a 5 year company warranty.



I had gone to Nehru Place to purchase the external hard disk, there the dealers tried to lure me into buying cheap Hitachi hard disks enclosed in local Intex casings. What they do is that they take regular internal hard disks and mount them in casings of cheap Chinese companies, these casings have an IDE to USB interface so that these internal (externalised) hard disks work with your computer. In fact one of my classmates had bought one of these makeshift external hard disks and as expected , the disk is giving him problems and he has given it for repair.

So anyone looking to buy an external hard disk , be warned , the dealers at Nehru Place will try to shove these assembled notebooks in your face, beware of them.

Coming back to the pleasures part, its great to have a huge external storage. I can keep all my multimedia in the external drive while keeping my hard disk space for software. I recently installed Visual Studio and Windows Mobile SDK so needed space for that and my Windows Xp partition was really out of it. I was able to generate enough space by moving less commonly used files from the internal drive to the external one.

As far as the Visual Studio goes, i use an original licensed copy from MSDNAA !!!

6 comments:

Siddharth Razdan said...

How much you had to pay for that disk?

Regards
(Siddharth Razdan)

Tikna said...

It cost me 4000 after some hard bargaining !

UDit said...

damn! u got it good man! I just paid 5500 buck for a 160 GB Seagate External Hard Drive....

Tikna said...

did u buy it from Nehru Place ?

shivam said...

Hey frend, from where u purchased tis 250 gb hard disk???

Tikna said...

Hi Shivam

I purchased the harddisk from Nehru Place !